Cross Country Schooling
The Park has two cross country courses that are open April through October. The East Course (also known as “the derby field”) is close to stabling and the West Course is a short (20 min) walk away on conservation land.
The East Course is 15 acres of lightly wooded, varied terrain including water, bank and ditch obstacles and portable cross country jumps from Starter through Training-Prelim level. We continue to add more open space and alternative routes. Throughout the season, the East Course is available for camps/clinics and schooling activities – advance reservations are required.
The West Course, on an adjacent 110 acre parcel of lightly wooded conservation land, includes an international-caliber water complex comprised of 2 ponds, a sunken road, mound and coffin and other obstacles for Preliminary level. The Intermediate level is used for competitions only – no schooling over the Intermediate obstacles at any time.
- Send email request to email@example.com well in advance. Provide desired schooling date and time, number of riders, trainer’s name and organizer’s contact information.
- All riders must be accompanied by a trainer who has current professional liability insurance of at least $1 million.
- The trainer’s insurance agent/broker must provide the Park with a Certificate of Insurance stating three (3) additional insureds: Washington State Horse Park as facility operator; and the City of Cle Elum and Suncadia as property owners/landlords. (Note: Ask for the Certificate to be issued for the entire policy period so the trainer doesn’t need to provide one for each visit to the Park. The cost of these certificates varies by insurance company and is sometimes included in the policy premium.)
- The Certificate must be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received and accepted no less than 48 hours prior to schooling.
- Please call 877-635-4111 the day before to confirm arrival time.
- Prior to or upon arrival at the Park, ALL riders must complete the Park’s Registration form, sign the Liability Release and submit both with payment before mounting (we prefer you complete forms and payment online, but they may also be printed and turned in to the Park drop box/office). There are no exceptions to this requirement. Riders under 18 years of age must have their Liability Release signed by their parent or legal guardian only– complete online or bring this with you if the parent won’t be onsite. NO trainers or other adults may sign the Release on behalf of a parent/guardian. If a rider has a release on file that was signed by their parent/guardian, but the rider has now turned 18, the rider must complete a new release, with their own signature.
- All riders must wear safety vests, helmets and footwear with a heel.
- Riders must stay on cleared ground and groomed footing at all times, for their safety and to preserve the terrain.
Fees are based on a 2 hour schooling session.
Fees are per rider/per horse and include the use of outdoor arenas and trails for the same day.
- Adult $55
- Youth $40
- Adult $44
- Youth $32
For your convenience, unbedded holding stalls are available for up to 4 hours, for $10 each. You may reserve online, or coordinate with the Park Manager. Please clean all manure and hay from the stall and put it on the manure pile before leaving.